Paul G. Silver received his PhD in geophysics from Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD in 1982 and went on to a highly distinguished career. He applied seismology in innovative ways to study a range of topics from earthquake triggering, through upper mantle flow, to core-mantle boundary structure. He led several international projects that resulted in new insights on directionally-dependent wave propagation associated with crust and/or mantle deformation. Paul was particularly well-known for his creativity and successful mentoring of young scholars, both being outcomes of his inquisitive and open, yet focused on the end-result, approach to science.
In recognition of Paul’s mentorship, and to enable young scholars to pursue a new idea, the Paul G. Silver Young Scholar Research Enhancement Award will provide funds to extend work beyond what would typically be within reach for a young investigator. Awards of $2000-5000 will be offered annually through a competitive application process, open to undergraduates, graduate students, or new researchers (< 4 yr post PhD) who are pursuing geophysical research at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD. Applicants should provide a single page description of the objectives and status of their ongoing research project, of the aspect(s) that would be supported by an award, and details of how funds would be used. A 1-2 page (maximum length) CV should be included in the same document. Examples of request type include, but are not limited to: support for a visit to another lab to acquire or process data; conduct of a pilot field study; acquisition fees for agency or commercially served data; travel to an in-depth topical workshop where significant interaction with colleagues could enhance research outcomes.
The call for 2017 applications opened April 21 and the deadline for receipt of materials is May 12. The IGPP Green Foundation Selection Committee will evaluate applications and final selection will be made in consultation with Nathalie Valette-Silver, PhD.
To submit an application go to The Paul G. Silver Young Reserach Enhancement Award application page.
- Zhongwen Zhan: Kenicott glacier seismicity experiment
- Eric Lindsey: Earthquakes: nucleation, triggering, and relationship with aseismic processes workshop, Corsica
- Shi Sim: Collaboration visit to LDEO- numerical modeling of mantle flow, melting, and melt migration
Adrian Doran: Seismicity on Patton Escarpment, OBS deployment
- Daniel Trugman: Injection-induced seismicity, southern KS
- Yongfei Wang: Dynamic rupture mechanisms of Nepal earthquake
- Adrian Doran: Seismic anisotropy of Alpine glacier
- Matt Cook: Cascadia seafloor geodesy
- Adrian Doran: Compliance of central Pacific seafloor
- Dara Goldberg: Seismo-geodetic early earthquake warning: Israel
If you have any questions, please contact the Green Foundation Secretary (greenfound (at) ucsd (dot) edu).