There are numerous student opportunities at the Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics (link to igpp.ucsd.edu) which is a research division at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, our home department at the University of California, San Diego, both of which provide research opportunities, administrative support and state-of-the-art facilities. The broad range of geophysical research expertise is acknowledged globally, and individual groups specialize in specific fields. Read through our recent Annual Report (link to 2019 here, and page for the rest) to observe the diverse interests of IGPP researchers, or, to find out more about the program curriculum visit the Geophysics Graduate Program Overview page. Links to information about other PhD programs at Scripps can be found at https://scripps.ucsd.edu/doctoral/program-areas/geophysics-gp and for masters degrees at https://scripps.ucsd.edu/masters. Information about research internships is at https://scripps.ucsd.edu/education/research-internships.
IGPP has extensive computing resources, with an excellent network support infrastructure. The main network is run on Mac OSX, with support for SGI and IBM, and we have on-site technicians to help with all aspects of computing.
For more details about the graduate geophysics program at IGPP and SIO see here (link to program overview – see below), and information for prospective students, including a list of potential advisors and projects, is here (link to Prospective Students page also below).
Recent Annual Reports
- 2019: [High Resolution PDF, 17 MB]
- 2018: [High Resolution PDF, 36 MB]
- 2017: [High Resolution PDF, 34 MB]
- 2016: [High Resolution PDF, 44 MB]
- 2015: [High Resolution PDF, 49 MB]
- 2014: [High Resolution PDF, 30 MB]
- 2013: [High Resolution PDF, 60 MB]
- 2012: [High Resolution PDF, 45 MB]
- 2011: [High Resolution PDF, 76.1MB]
- 2010: [High Resolution PDF, 17.1MB]
- 2009: [High Resolution PDF, 34.1MB]
- 2008: [High Resolution PDF, 47 MB]
- 2007: [High Resolution PDF, 25 MB]
- 2006: [High Resolution PDF, 41 MB]